- Name: Software Engineering and Distributed Computing Laboratory (SEDIC Lab)
- Head of the laboratory: PGS.TS. Nguyễn Khanh Văn
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Room 1001, B1 Building, Hanoi University of Science and Technology
- Website: http://sedic.soict.hust.edu.vn
Software Engineering and Distributed Computing (SEDIC Lab) specializes in researches related to software technology, distributed computing and Internet application technologies. The laboratory was established in 2014 as one of five laboratories designed by the HEDSPI project (IT cooperation program with Japanese government).
As the center of researching and exploiting the potential of many affiliated research groups, the laboratory has the core officials working in the field of Software Technology and a number of partners in the School of Information and Communications Technology.
These groups operate in many different fields but have a common link around their concerns with large-scale, dispersed information and data processing problems (typically data collection and processing on the Internet) and which need to apply the solutions and approaches of software technology.
Some of the research directions and key research areas of the laboratory team:
- Software development methodologies and techniques: this is the research orientation of Software Engineering Team with concerns about Formal Methods, Software Modeling Techniques with multiple criteria: quality, architecture, project management, evaluation of efficiency and cost, component-based systems, cloud computing technology, etc.
- New distributed computing model: the orientation of the Distributed Computing Team with concerns about the new type of information network model – wireless connectivity, peer, small world, modeling and simulation, handling large scale in social networks, services and games.
- Semantic technology and applications: orientation of Semantic Web team with semantic computing concerns, location base services, medical information technology.
- Digital content and services: orientation of the Information Service and Security team with concerns about Web Technology and digital content, Service integration, Service system security, Detecting Web application vulnerabilities
- Speech, image and natural language processing (VSLP – Vision, Speech and Language Processing group)
What makes SEDIC Lab special is the activity spread across many diverse research directions and technology fields, cover many basic research areas as well as practical applications, resulted in real products for social life. In fact, the laboratory has plenty of research teams (both theoretical and practical), operating on different fields.
By this diversity and dynamism, certain achievements have been formed. Even though they may not be really great (since mostly are not focusing on a single orientation), the researches show the flexibility of the study teams being very active in research activities, technology transfer and teaching tasks that have been considered the most important for many years. (The teacher are always in charge of high teaching volume)
Among the mentioned achievements, there are 01 state-level science and technology project, 02 Nafosted topics, 07 Best Paper Award articles (the most appreciated article at an international conference) in the theoretical field. For practice researches, there are two results reached the top awards of the Vietnam Talent Competition. These products have appeared on the market such as Vbee (details below). A series of other activities also have contribution.
Research groups in the laboratory have made collaborative researches with partners in France, Japan, Korea and Hungary.
Achievements and results of researches and product development
Some typical researches:
- University-level: Botnet network detection system by machine learning method on lambda model. (Assoc.Prof.Dr. Cao Tuấn Dũng)
- State-level (Ministry of Science and Technology): Researching on mastering cloud service technologies (creating and providing services, providing digital content, managing access). Code: KC.01.01 / 11-15. (Assoc. Prof. Huynh Quyet Thang).
- Nafosted Foundation: Methods for verifying and localizing errors for component-oriented software systems. (Dr. Nguyen Thanh Hung)
- Ministry of Education and Training Level: Network routing and unselfish approach to optimize overall performance. (Assoc.Prof. Dr. Nguyen Khanh Van)
Some product projects applied in practice:
- Vbee’s Vietnamese speech synthesis (Text-To-Speech TTS): developed to come into practice to solve data digitization problems, automate operations in call center operators, banks and many other domestic businesses. Vbee has been honored with the Vietnam Digital Transformation Award VDA, the highest award of Vietnam’s Talent in the field of ICT in 2018. This is the product of Dr. Nguyen Thi Thu Trang.
- Training management software: helps automate many training management activities, scientific research, business cooperation of departments and schools in Hanoi University of Technology. Chairman: TS. Nguyen Thanh Hung.
Some typical scientific publications:
- Reputable international journal (SCI)
- Mai Anh T. Bui, Nick Papoulias, Serge Stinckwich, Mikal Ziane, Benjamin Roche. The Kendrick modelling platform: abstractions and tools. BMC bioinformatics. Q1, 2019
- Phi-Le Nguyen, Yusheng Ji, Zhi Liu, Huy Vu, Khanh-Van Nguyen, “Distributed hole-bypassing protocol in WSNs with constant stretch and load balancing”, Computer Networks 129: 232-250 (2017), SCI
- Khanh-Van Nguyen, Phi Le Nguyen, Quoc Huy Vu & Tien Van Do, “An Energy Efficient and Load Balanced Distributed Routing Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks with Holes”, Journal of Systems and Software, Volume 123, January 2017, Pages 92–105, 2017, 0164-1212, SCI
- Nguyen T. Truong, Ikki Fujiwara, Michihiro Koibuchi & Khanh-Van Nguyen, “Distributed Shortcut Networks: Low-Latency Low-Degree Non-Random Topologies Targeting the Diameter and Cable Length Trade-Off”, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 28, No. 4, 2017, (Q1)
- Van-Quyet Nguyen, Quyet-Thang Huynh, Kyungbaek Kim, “Estimating searching cost of regular path queries on large graphs by exploiting unit-subqueries”, Journal of Heuristics (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10732-018-9402-0. ISI, Q1 Journal, IF=1.129.
- Publications in prestigious Rank-A conference
- Van An Le, Phi Le Nguyen, Yusheng Ji, “Deep Convolutional LSTM Network-based Traffic Matrix Prediction with Partial Information”, IFIP/IEEE IM 2019, Washington, USA.
- Phi-Le Nguyen, Yusheng Ji, Nguyen Thanh Trung, Nguyen Thanh Hung. Constant stretch and load balanced routing protocol for bypassing multiple holes in wireless sensor networks. Network Computing and Applications (NCA), 2017 IEEE 16th International Symposium, 2017
- Phi Le Nguyen, Khanh-Van Nguyen, Vu Quoc Huy, Yusheng Ji. A Time and Energy Efficient Protocol for Locating Coverage Holes in WSNs. 2016 IEEE 41st Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), 2016.
- Nguyen Thi Thu Trang, Rilliard Albert, Tran Do Dat, and d’Alessandro Christophe. Prosodic phrasing modeling for Vietnamese TTS using syntactic information. Interspeech 2014, pages 2332–2336. Singapore, September 2014.
- Nguyen Thi Thu Trang, Christophe D’Alessandro, Albert Rilliard, Tran Do Dat. HMM-based TTS for Hanoi Vietnamese: issues in design and evaluation. Interspeech 2013, pp. 2311-2315. 25-29 August 2013. Lyon, France.
- Best paper awards (international conferences)
- Chi-Hieu Nguyen, Chung T.Kieu and Khanh-Van Nguyen (2019), Efficient Landmark-based Compact Routing for Random Interconnection Topologies, 2019 IEEE-RIVF International Conference on Computing and Communication Technologies, March, 2019
- Trong Nguyen Duc, Le Nguyen Phi, Hau Phan Van and Khanh-Van Nguyen. A Distributed Protocol to Detect and Update Hole Boundary in Wireless Sensor Networks, in Proc. Of SoICT’2015
- Phi-Le Nguyen, Duc-Trong Nguyen & Khanh-Van Nguyen, “Load Balanced Routing with Constant Stretch for Wireless Sensor Network with Holes”, in Proc. of 2014 IEEE 9th International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP’2014)
Highlight research activities
Distributed Computing team
Distributed Computing team with the lead of Assoc. Nguyen Khanh Van has carried out a series of researches with the topic “Routing algorithms in complex terrain wireless networks”.
Wireless sensor network is an important research area with a very wide range of application, in which they are used as a tool to automatically collect information – monitor and control in a particular environment, for example: monitoring temperature-humidity in a plantation, tracking undefined objects in a protected area, monitoring enemy forces in a war zone, or tracking the development of an area hit by natural disasters (earthquakes, forest fires, floods, etc.).
The quality of these applications is critically dependent on the quality and effectiveness of the distributed routing mechanism in wireless sensor network, where there are unique challenges due to the limited resources and power of devices. wire (eg. sensors). If routing is ineffective, the communication between nodes and distributed data processing will be inefficient and consume energy.
The group’s research resulted in two ISI journal articles (Q1-2) and two Best Paper Awards articles, created a software product tool that allows design and experimentation (via simulation) in large scale wireless sensor network scenario with new proposed routing algorithm.
Vision, Speech and Language Processing group
The VSLP team is led by Dr. Nguyen Thi Thu Trang. Developed from researches on speech synthesis, the Vbee team has launched a solution on synthesizing Vietnamese voices with natural voices, which is quite similar to real human voices. These results have been successfully transferred and applied to digitize and automate many practical tasks in many different fields such as automated switchboards, customer care systems, data digitalization, smart home systems, virtual assistants, etc.
Some main products of the group
- Service of speech synthesis in Vietnamese Vbee: https://vbee.vn
- Vadi newspaper and traffic map system: https://vadi.vn, https://app.vadi.vn
- Vietnamese language reader to assist the blinds to use devices and computers:
- Vietnamese reader of BKVoice
- Vietnamese reader in eSpeak NG
The group won several awards, such as:
- Vietnam Digital Award Award 2018
- The 1st prize of Vietnam Talent 2018
- Runner-up of the Nationwide Startup Students 2018
- And many high prizes in student research competitions, Hackathon and other competitions.
Information of teachers and students working at the lab
- PGS. TS. Huỳnh Quyết Thắng: Leader of Software Engineering team
- PGS. TS. Nguyễn Khanh Văn: Leader of Distributed Computing team
- PGS. TS. Cao Tuấn Dũng: Leader of Sematic Web team
- TS Vũ Thị Hương Giang
- TS. Nguyễn Thị Thu Trang: Leader of VLSP
- TS. Nguyễn Thanh Hùng
- TS. Nguyễn Phi Lê
- TS. Nguyễn Nhất Hải
- TS. Trịnh Tuấn Đạt
- TS. Bùi Thị Mai Anh
- ThS. Nguyễn Mạnh Tuấn
- ThS. Nguyễn Tiến Thành
- ThS. Hoàng Anh Việt
- NCS.ThS. Kiều Thành Chung (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NCS.ThS. Trần Mạnh Thắng (email@example.com)
- NCS.ThS. Nguyễn Chí Hiếu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NCS.ThS. Nguyễn Thị Như (email@example.com)
- NCS.ThS. Trần Đình Diễn (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- NCS.ThS. Vũ Văn Đốc (email@example.com)
- NCS.ThS. Trịnh Bảo Ngọc