- Name: Network and Communication Technology Laboratory (NCT Lab)
- Head of the lab: PGS. TS. Ngô Quỳnh Thu
- Address: Room 901, B1 Building, Hanoi University of Science and Technology
- Website: https://nct.soict.hust.edu.vn
The laboratory is responsible for applying the latest technologies in the field of networking and communications (IoT, AI, mobile networks, new generation Internet, SDN programmable networks) in different application areas of life (agriculture, fisheries, health, etc.) to bring values and benefits to users.
Initially, when equipment and facilities were not available, research activities were carried out only on simulation tools. From the period of 2016-2017, using laboratory-sponsored equipment, the research teams have become familiar with IoT and AI technologies to develop a number of prototype products within the laboratory. to practical applications like:
- IoT-based medical data collection system for monitoring and assisting respiratory disease diagnosis.
- AQI air quality measurement box and AQI collection system using MQTT protocol stack.
- Development of IPv6 CoAP / UDP / RPL / 6LoWPAN / 802.15.4 protocol stack on Contiki for ARDUINO UNO circuitry, aimed at smart city applications.
- Machine learning algorithm development based on the energy-saving stacking protocol of IoT CoAP / UDP / RPL / 6LoWPAN / TSCH to increase reliability, aiming at industrial applications.
From 2017 til now, the laboratory actively cooperates with foreign enterprises and large domestic technology corporations to research and develop products in the field of IoT and AI in agriculture and fisheries.
Main research specialization
IoT and new technologies.
AI and data processing in agriculture and fisheries.
Optical network and optical network optimization.
SDN, network virtualization, network function virtualization, and network optimization research. Network information security issues in medical data collection systems using IoT technology.
The laboratory will continue to develop in two directions:
- Continue to conduct researches and develop IoT and AI applications in agriculture, bringing benefits to farmers, aiming at commercialization.
- Optimize the optical network, study advanced network technologies such as optical networks, make the publication in the Q1 magazine.
National and International cooperation
The laboratory has built collaborations with
- Other laboratories in the Institute (computer engineering laboratories, modeling laboratories).
- Units in the school (MICA Institute, DT-VT Institute).
- Other Vietnamese research units (PTIT).
- International research units of Japan (NICT, Shibaura Institutes, NEC Group), Malaysia (MIMOS, UTM), Singapore (I2R), Germany (University Wuerzburg, FOKUS), Thailand (Chualalongkorn University).
- Foreign research and development enterprises (NEC Solution Innovators, Japan).
- Major technology corporations of Vietnam (VNPT, NEC Vietnam).
Researches projects in 5 recent years
|Ministry of Education and Trainings Project|
|1||Plant monitoring based on Internet of Things
(Principal investigator: Ngô Quỳnh Thu)
|Ministri of Education and Trainings
400 million VND
|International Collaboration Projects|
|2||Open Innovation Platform
(Ngô Quỳnh Thu, Nguyễn Linh Giang, Ngô Hồng Sơn)
(Ngô Quỳnh Thu, Nguyễn Linh Giang, Huỳnh Thanh Bình)
|4||A Hybrid Framework for IoT Networks
(Ngô Quỳnh Thu)
|5||Asean Forum for Software Defined System on Disaster Mitigation and Smart Cities
(Trương Diệu Linh, Ngô Hồng Sơn)
|6||A Scalable Distributed IoT Framework based on Mobile Robot Technology for High Performance Greenhouse Plant
(Principal investigator – Ngô Quỳnh Thu)
|7||Farm Tab (Ngô Quỳnh Thu)||IVO Forum
|Business cooperation researches – Pending review|
|8||Study and develop advanced block chain network for IoT system for medical applications
(Trần Vĩnh Đức, Ngô Quỳnh Thu, Nguyễn Bình Minh, Đỗ Bá Lâm, Đào Việt Chung…)
|VNPT – 2 tỷ||2018-2020||Pending review|
|9||Study and develop aquaculture decision-making support systems based on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IoT)
(Ngô Quỳnh Thu, Phạm Ngọc Hưng, Nguyễn Linh Giang)
|VNPT – 4,7 billions||2018-2020||Pending review|
|10||Develop VNPT laboratory – HUST and Enhancement of new technologies for VNPT’s production and business in the period of 2018-2020
(Ngô Quỳnh Thu)
|VNPT – 24 billions||2018-2020||Pending review|
|NAFOSTED Researches – Approved and being conducted|
|11||Design and optimize the optical communication network layer using overhead infrastructure stations
(Trương Diệu Linh)
|12||Building information security infrastructure for everything network based on cloud computing
(Principlal investigator – Nguyễn Linh Giang)
|Ministry of Science and Technology
Highlight scientific publications
Article published in ISI journals
- Linh D. Truong, Hien T. T. Pham, Ngoc T. Dang, Toi V. Doan. Topology Design and Cross-Layer Optimization for FSO Mesh Networks Impaired by Atmospheric Turbulence and Misalignment Fading. IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, Vol. 9, Issue 12, pp. 1097-1107 (Tạp chí Q1)
- Nguyen Huu Thanh, Doan Van Tung, Ngo-Quynh Thu, Nguyen Canh Nam, Kumbesan Sandrasegaran. Joint scheduling and mapping in support of downlink fairness and spectral efficiency in ieee 802.16e OFDMA system. International Journal of Communication System, Vol. Volume 29, Issue 15 October 2016 Pages 2227–2248, 2016. (Tạp chí Q2)
- Vinh Tran-Quang, Thu Ngo-Quynh, Minho Jo. A Lateration-localizing algorithm for Energy efficient Target Tracking in Wireless Sensor Networks. Adhoc and Wireless Networks, Vol. vol 1, pp. 1-30, 2017. (Tạp chí Q2)
- Nguyen Huu Thanh, Vu Anh Vu, Nguyen Duc Lam, Nguyen Van Huynh, Tran Manh Nam, Ngo-Quynh Thu, Thu-Huong Truong, Nguyen Tai Hung, Thomas Magedanz. A Generalized Resource Allocation Framework in Support of Multi-Layer Virtual Network Embedding based on SDN. ELSEVIER’s Journal of Computer Networks, Special Issue on Network Virtualization and Software Defined Networking. Volume 92, Part 2, 9th (Tạp chí Q2)
- Thu Ngo-Quynh, Vinh Tran-Quang, Quan Nguyen-Trung. Low Delay Communication Protocol for Target Tracking in Wireless Sensors Networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. (Tạp chí Q2)
Articles published in international journals (Proceedings)
- “RPL-based Multipath Routing Protocols for Internet of Things on Wireless Sensor Networks”, Quan Le, Thu Ngo-Quynh, Thomas Magedanz, Proceedings of the 2014 International Conferences on Advanced Technologies for Communications (ATC 2014), Hanoi, Vietnam. ISBN: 978-1-4799-6955-5, ISSN: 2162-1020
- “Multipath RPL protocols for Greenhouse Environment Monitoring System based on Internet of Things”, Thu Ngo-Quynh, Nien Le-Manh, Khoi Nguyen-Nguyen, Proceedings of 12th IEEE International Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON 2015), Huahin, Thailand. IEEE catalog number: 35150
- “An application for diagnosing lung diseases on Android phone”, Hai Anh Tran, Quynh Thu Ngo, Hoang Pham Huy, In Proceeding of 2015 6th International Symposium on Information and Communication Technology SoICT 2015, Vietnam
- Dieu Linh Truong, Tien Sy Luong, Phu Long Dinh, Hien T. T. Pham, The Ngoc Dang,. Design and optimization of FSO mesh networks over atmospheric turbulence and misalignment fading channels. International Conference on Advanced Technologies for Communications (ATC), 2016.
- Dieu-Linh Truong, Elena Ouro, Thanh-Chung Nguyen. Protected Elastic-tree Topology for Survivable and Energy-efficient Data Center. Informatica. 40, 197-206, 2016
- AQI meter box and system using MQTT / TCP / IP / 802.11
- Lung data collection system and disease diagnostic support
- Protocol stack CoAP / UDP / IPv6-RPL / 6LoWPAN / 802.15.4 for energy saving on Arduino UNO board on Contiki operating system
Using IoT and AI technology for users’ hydroponic systems in big cities for automatic nutrition mixing.
Below is a picture of the system with the board and hydroponic rigs deployed in the laboratory
Information about participated teachers, graduate students, and graduate students
- PGS. TS. Ngô Quỳnh Thu, Leader of IoT and AI application research group in agriculture and fisheries.
- PGS. TS. Trương Diệu Linh, Leader of optimizes optical network performance researches.
- PGS. TS. Nguyễn Linh Giang, Leader of IoT systems in health researches.