The history of the establishment and development of SoICT:
– In 1969, HUST established the Mathematics – Computing unit belonging to the department of Mathematics to educate engineers of mathematics.
– In September 1970, HUST established the department of Mathematics – Computing belonging to the faculty of Mathematics – Physics to educate engineers of mathematics-computing.
– In 1980, the HUST Computer Center was established. In the 1980-1995 period, the Computer Center provided training services for engineers of mathematics-construction, mathematics-computing, and helped processing the data of university enrollment in Vietnam northern areas.
– In 1987, HUST established the faculty of Informatics, based on the department of Mathematics – Computing and the faculty of Mathematics – Physics.
– In 1995, the Ministry of Education and Training decided to set up 7 faculties of Information Technology in important universities in Vietnam. FIT – HUST was established on March 26, 1995, based on the faculty of Informatics, the Computer Center and some Informatics-related groups of the faculty of Electronics and Telecommunication.
– On May 19, 2009, the Ministry of Education and Training decreed to establish SoICT, based on FIT and HEDSPI (the Vietnam-Japan joint project for Higher Education Development Support in ICT).
In recent years, there has been an increasing number of young lecturers with M.A and postgraduate degree in developed countries such as the U.K, the U.S.A, France, Japan, etc. working for our School. This would become our School’s key workforce in the coming years, which proves for the seeing ability of School’s leaders. A significant development is shown in training disciplines. At the beginning, Computing was the only major at the Faculty. In 2003, our School has changed the curricula, training 5 specific branches corresponding to 5 departments and suitable with 5 branches of IT in the Ministry of Education and Training’s framework of University and Higher Education Program, following ACM recommendations. (http://www.acm.org/education/curricula-recommendations) School of Information and Communication Technology has also effectively implemented education programs for talented engineers, highly qualified engineers and other training programs in alliance with international organizations. Currently, our School is playing the key role in promoting IT engineer training program according to ODA financial support between Japan Government & Vietnam Government. Beside training, there have also been a dramatic changes in scientific and technology ,namely a series of subjects of all levels (including governmental level), which have been and are being implemented at the school .The departments’ role of has been improved with aims to become specialized and key units of the School effectively operating on all three fields: training, researching, and international cooperation. A firm foundation composed of qualified staff, high training quality and effective of scientific research-technology transfer has been established after 15 years of development. This foundation will become a very important base for the School’s next steps in the process of development and integration. Schoolof Information and Communication Technology, Hanoi University of Technology can be confident to meet the goals set for mid-term plan to 2013, and further, for 2020 vision.
Basic missions of Schoolof Information and Communication Technology for the coming years:
Innovation in management and organization structure: Together with other faculties and institutes of Hanoi University of Technology, our school will build suitable management model and mechanisms which allow effective link between training, scientific research and technology deployment among training institutions and employers, as well as allow the workforces and facility mobilization satisfying inter-disciplinary missions to meet the demands of social economic development in Viet Nam.
Training:Schoolof Information and Communication Technology continues to confirm and keep the leading position in term of high quality IT training in Viet Nam. It is the environment where IT experts and researchers, university lecturers are trained; an ideal place for higher education and supporting other training organizations.
Scientific research and technology application:Build an adequate research laboratories and develop some highly specialized and professional IT researching and deploying group who are capable of taking over state-level and even international science and technology projects, economic-engineering contracts, etc. contributing to the development of science and technology market in Viet Nam.
National and international cooperation: Enhance School’s image in the community as well as business circle. Look for scholarships for School’s young lecturers and students. Promote the international cooperation relationships with other international groups of the same research orientation in the world in the model of school’s strong research groups. Promote finding support sources and research cooperation offer to improve School’s income and facility. Give suitable orientation to laboratories based on demands from businesses and international cooperation.
Consultancy:Enhance the role of School of Information & Communication Technology as the Consultant for University Managing Board and actively participate in planning, orienting, developing, and managing IT-related activities of Hanoi University of Technology. Striving for a prestigious advisory units in terms of IT and Communication for enterprises, training and research organizations.